The Benefits of Unfinished Engineered Wood
Get the Floor YOU Really Want.
In previous blogs, we talked about the advantages of prefinished wood floors. The biggest advantage, of course, is the lack of dust and mess, as well as the ability to move your furniture right in after installation.
However, if you are going for a certain look in your home and you’d like to have more control over the appearance of your floors, choosing unfinished, engineered wood may be a better choice for you.
Consider these benefits of finishing your floor yourself:
Advantages to Unfinished Engineered Wood:
- Allows you to customize the wood with stains and colors that best suit your interior space and which might not be available in prefinished floor products.
- You’re able to install the floor at any time. You can even wait until everything else is finished first.
- Finishing your own floors allows you a greater range of options, including colors, stains, finishes and styles to choose from. All of these will protect the wood from moisture damage, stains, wear and tear, and enable you to highlight the floor’s natural beauty.
- You can alter the look of the floor by applying stain finish before sealing the wood. This also lets you use colors not available in prefinished wood products.
- It’s your choice: you can choose a stain to apply to the floor, or you can also just leave the natural wood as is with no stain and then finish the floor.
- The installer can do borders, inlays and other custom features that aren’t usually possible with factory finished flooring.
- On-site hardwood finishing enables you to more easily match the newly installed flooring with existing flooring and/or other interior features.
- Taking unfinished hardwood and finishing it after it’s installed will help preserve the wood’s natural beauty and characteristics.
- You’ll have the benefit of a more durable floor (see below).
Unfinished Engineered Hardwood Floors = Greater Durability?
If you install an engineered product vs a ¾” solid unfinished wood floor, you’ll have the benefit of greater dimensional stability. This is because solid floors undergo more expansion and contraction than engineered flooring. So when you use an engineered product of the same wood species as the top veneer, it adds more stability to the hardwood flooring. Many homeowners find this to be a great advantage. After all, you’d like your floor to last for decades, right?
At Sequoia Ltd., we offer a range of unfinished, as well as prefinished, hardwood flooring products. We’re available to consult with you to determine which style best suits your needs. If you have questions about flooring, stains, finishes, the installation process and more, please don’t hesitate to talk to the professionals at Sequoia Ltd. We’re here for all your flooring needs.
And keep checking our blog for more helpful hints about installation, types of wood pros and cons, and also information about Luxury Vinyl Tile and High-End Carpeting. We’re here for all your flooring needs, through every stage of the process. Contact us today to get started!